Friday 12 September 2014

Veronica Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho: Book Review

In a book discussion forum, I had seen strong recommendations to get a hold of this book. I did not look into the book reviews, just to keep the beans safe before spilling out. And now I’ve already turned the last page of the book and could not but write on the writing of this great writer!!!

I feel Paulo Coelho shouldn’t be included among the other commercial writers of fiction, self-help, psychology and the like. If you’ve read at least one book of his, you would agree with me that not everyone can perceive his messages exactly as how he has projected them. That’s why I guess I hear mixed comments on his books – boring to some, interesting to some, confusing to some, inspiring to some. It actually demands an understanding level in the reader too to see what Mr.Coelho has seen.
When I had just touched this one on the shelf in the DJ book store, my friends were unhappy. Why should somebody invest money to know what makes one to die? Well, that’s what the title says. And the whole twist is in what the content says – Why should one live? Yes, the plot is all about a woman who explores what in life makes her to feel that she needs to live.


The beginning and the first few pages sounded literally distressing. For this part, I will not recommend anybody who is already into deep pain and lacking enough strength to move forward to even read the title. But for the rest of the pages, it’s worth the rest of your days on Earth.

The last few pages were especially touching – to be and show yourself to the world as what you are needs courage. And I tell you it’s just not a read and pile story. The courage gets injected into you with or without your understanding. And that’s where I see Mr.Coelho, beyond a writer.

Few admirable lines from this book:
  • The two hardest tests on the spiritual road: the patience to wait for the right moment and the courage not to be disappointed with what you encounter.
  • Every second of existence is a choice we all make between living and dying.
Through the Eduard character, the author’s own past is depicted partially, so we know it’s ok to be a failure sometimes because the day we become successful, our failures will be spoken out louder making us more successful.

Book: Veronica Decides to Die Author: Veronica Decides to Die
This review is also posted at my personal blog Pages from Serendipity 


No comments:

Post a Comment